OTHER PAGES

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Madeleines, Cookies, Oh My!

I have no idea how to start this post. I've sat in this chair for the past ten minutes in the same position, hands poised above the key board, rapidly typing, then forcibly holding down the delete key. Should I write about how I want to eat a warm gingersnap cookie? Should I write about how I feel like I should go running because I ate too many gingersnaps cookies? Or should I write about how I'm cold right now? Even though it's 80 degrees outside, I'm wearing jeans, a long sleeve top, and a hoodie. I know, I probably shouldn't be complaining. Half the US is covered in snow, and here I am, saying how chilly I am. Okay, so I take that back, the part about how I feel cold. Maybe those of you trapped in your homes need some cheering up? How about some pictures of Oahu? How about some chai madeleines? It's one of my favorite drinks in a cute mini madeleine! Isn't it adorable?
After the first batch, I was too lazy to refill the mold, and decided to see what madeleine batter would look like if I just piped it on to a cookie sheet. They turned out pretty well. A little flat, but they were similar to a thin, butter cookie. Maybe an almond thin, but without the almonds! Yummy all the same, right?


Chai Madeleines
Ingredients:
2/3 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoon chai mix
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 cup confectioners sugar, sifted




Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ F. Butter madeleine molds. Sift flour, chai spice, baking powder and salt together.
2. In an electric mixer, beat eggs on high for 5 minutes. Add confectioners sugar gradually, and beat again on high for another 5 minutes until batter thickens.
3. Gently fold the flour mixture into the batter, then add melted butter. Spoon or pipe batter into molds filling 3/4 of the way. Bake for approximately 8 minutes, or until edges are light brown. Allow to cool in pans for 2 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack. For cookie version: Pipe on to a parchment or silpat lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes







P.S: Voting is now open!

3 comments:

  1. These are so beautiful. Love the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to make these, but I haven't got a mould :( But your flat ones look delicious I think I'll have to try them without a mould!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom would love these and they could easily be adapted to gluten free. Thanks for the inspiration, and such an easy recipe too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you :)