OTHER PAGES

Thursday, July 14, 2011

The sweet stuff....FINALLY! :D

I know the past few posts have all been pretty healthy, so I'm going to sweet stuff. S'mores. Yes, the all time favorite summer camping treat. But who has time to go camping? Or really, who wants to have to do their business in an outhouse? Ew, sorry that was a little gross. Anyways, I'm not much of a camper, I do like to go on hikes and all, but really, that outhouse porter potty thing is just too nasty. So I set out to turn my favorite flavor combo (marshmallows, chocolate, and graham cracker, or sweet, sweeter, and sweetest) into a dessert that can be enjoyed and made in the comfort of my home.

What do you think? It was a graham cracker layer topped with a chocolate chip marshmallow cookie dough and then studded with Hershey's pieces. YUM :)




S'mores Bars
Bottom Layer:
5 ounces graham crackers * May need a little bit more (6-7 oz) to cover bottom of pan
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2/3 cup butter, melted

Top Layer:
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
3 regular sized hershey bars, broken into pieces


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325˚F. Butter a 13 x 9 inch pan lined with aluminum foil.
2. In a food processor, pulse graham crackers until crumbs are evenly fine. Add in brown sugar and process to combine. Drizzle the butter over the crumbs and pulse until mixture is evenly moistened. Press into bottom prepared pan. Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Cool on a rack while making top layer. Do not turn off the oven.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugars. Add in the egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, salt. Mix into the butter mixture. Fold in chocolate chips and marshmallows. Evenly spread the dough over the cooled graham cracker layer. Bake for 15 minutes. Take out and press Hershey squares on top. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
4. Allow to cool on a wire rack before cutting.

10 comments:

  1. I'm not a camper either! I mean really, what's so great about sleeping on the ground, covered in bug bites? But I love s'mores! These bars look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, yum, I love smores and these bar cookies look delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, this looks like heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these yesterday- they were by far the gooey-est and sweetest bar I've ever made! One small change - I had to add about a half a cup more graham cracker crumbs and a few more tbsp of brown sugar to have enough to spread around the bottom of the 13 x 9 pan. Otherwise, they worked out great! Thank you for sharing a fun recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mellie: Haha, me neither!

    Dmarie: Me 2!

    Erin: Thanks!

    Lane: Thanks! Okay, I will add a note. Sorry, I've made these about 5 times in the past week and each time I kinda fudge the amount of graham crackers. Next time I make them I'll actually measure out the amount I use! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I have this ala mode? I love the smores flavor- these look so good. And I love that its a bar (less work). =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a question... Do you put foil on the bottom and sides of the pan and then butter the foil? Thanks. I cannot wait to make these!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lindselicious: Haha, totally! Thanks! :)

    Anonymous: Yes. I take a big sheet of foil and press it into a 13x9 pan. I then either spray the foil with pam or butter. Using foil just makes it easier to pull out and cut the bars once they are done. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are a favorite with the teens in my house (not just mine but all those passing thru) and are specially requested when they are having a gathering. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you :)