OTHER PAGES

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Vegan Blackstrap Molasses Cookies (repost)

Did you know some vegans wont eat honey? Some won't eat marshmallows either! I don't know how long I'd last as a vegan. Probably not that long. But it would give me an excuse to make these cookies!

These cookies are actually a repost from before. Some have had a little trouble achieving that "cracked" look, so I remade these cookies to see if I could find any tips to get that lovely surface. As I was making the dough I noticed it seemed quite oily, but don't worry. I think the oil helps give the cookies that "cracked" look. The cookies didn't have the cracked look when I checked halfway through the baking time, but were quite puffy looking. After 12 minutes, the cookies had flattened out and had the cracked look.
The cookies are slightly lighter than before, but that may have been due to my lack of blackstrap molasses and having to use normal molasses. But don't worry, the cookies still taste great. Plus, it still cracks even when you make mini cookies! So if you've had some trouble getting "the look", don't be afraid to try again!




Blackstrap Gingersnaps - Printer Friendly Version
Yield 2 dozen - Adapted from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
Ingredients: 
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
1/2 cup canola oil
3 tablespoons nondairy milk (normal milk also works, but then it's not vegan, right?)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F
2. In a bowl mix sugar, molasses, oil, milk, and vanilla extract.
3. Mix in flours, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt
4. Place rounded tablespoons 3 inches apart on a cookie sheet
5. Flatten slightly and bake for 12 minutes
6. Enjoy!

Tips:
-Use the full amount of oil (I'll probably experiment with this a little later)
-Don't be alarmed if they don't flatten at first, it takes a little time

13 comments:

  1. I just LOVE a cookie that crackles like yours! It's such a pretty finishing touch to their appearance!

    Tasty cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious and I like the use of whole wheat flour to make them a little bit more healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made vegan cupcakes using molasses so I am really happy to find another recipe to put the leftovers to use!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cookies have the perfect look. I have tried some recipes that just didn't crack for me.

    Plan B

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cookies....such a craving for them now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sometimes find that you don't get the cracked look if your dough is too wet or oily, or perhaps too warm, or if the oven is not hot enough. I think the cracking happens when the outer layer gets cooked well enough before the cookie spreads.

    My dough gets too oily when I've adapted vegan cookie recipes to gluten free using almond flour and haven't adapted the ratios right... Or if the oven is too cool the cookie just warms slowly and spreads before the top layer is crisp enough to crack.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey,

    I was looking for a vegan molasses cookie recipe and came across yours. I read the little introduction and just had to clarify:
    -marshmallows have gelatin in them, which is animal-derived. Basic vegetarians also avoid gelatin because it comes directly from the animal; it is not a by-product.

    I hope that clarifies.

    -Rasha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! Thanks Rasha for clarifying! Huh, I guess that does make sense! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the delicious recipe!! My six-year-old and one-year-old love them, oh and me too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i was searching for a vegan molasses cookie recipe that didnt require vegan butter because i ran out. these are quick and easy to make. they dont taste bad, but they didnt crackle. if i try this recipe again, i'll add more flour, more baking soda, and a little more sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, as a vegan we don't eat marshmallows or honey. Honey is questionable for some (I sometimes will have it but usually try not to have it). There are alternatives though such as Dandies (search it- better than original!)and agave nectar or brown rice syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My go to recipe! I got this kind of molasses on accident and it will remain the best accident I ever make! I tend to add a little black pepper and cayenne because I like 'em spicy;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you :)