OTHER PAGES

Thursday, February 17, 2011

oatmeal cookie using oil

Have you ever had a craving to make a cookie, but when you look in the refrigerator you find out you're missing butter? If you answered yes to that question, then I have a solution for you! Ha, I sound like a sales man for some cheesy product that breaks after the third use. But anyways, this recipe has no butter in it. Instead, it uses olive oil. Actually any oil would be fine, but that's all I had on hand. I had some leftover almond meal from my attempts at making macarons (more on that later) and decided to add it to my cookie. I meant to add in some dried cranberries after I finished mixing up the dough, but by the time I remembered they were already cooling on the racks! oops, next time I'll remember. :)

The cookies were soft and chewy, probably due to the applesauce, milk, and oil. Wait a minute, these cookies are pretty healthy. They have fruity applesauce and calcium rich milk, and a small about of heart healthy oil. Plus, the almond meal adds some healthy fats, right? Now you have an excuse to make these even if you're not out of butter :)


Oatmeal Cookies
Printer Friendly Version

1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup oat flour
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
 1/4 cup plus 2 Tb sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup plus 2 Tb rolled oats
1/4 cup milk
 2 egg yolk or 1 egg
1/4 cup plus 2 Tb oil

1. Preheat oven to 325˚F
2. In a bowl combine flours, spices, sugars, and oats
3. In a separate bowl mix together milk, egg yolks, and oil. Stir in flour mixture.
4. Spoon tablespoons of dough on to a parchment or silpat lined cookie sheet
5. Bake for 14 minutes, or until golden brown

2 comments:

  1. So fun! I just made oatmeal cookies this past week too! Our recipes are different, but the yum factor is high for them both!

    Lynne, I am giving you an award. I have so enjoyed visiting your blog lately and I love its soft colors and fresh look ... hence, the Stylish Blogger Award.

    If you'd like to play along and pass it forward to some of your favorite bloggers, checkout the link below for the particulars and the award badge. Congrats! And keep up the excellent baking!

    http://thespicegarden.blogspot.com/2011/02/well-hoop-de-doo-thanks-chris-and-amy.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question: what leavening did you use? I don't see any soda or powder listed. And how much applesauce did you use -- I see you mention it, but it's not listed. So I added more milk to help the cookies bind. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you :)