OTHER PAGES

Friday, November 5, 2010

Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies

Chocolate + Pretzels = Amazing? Yes, I think so, and so do my friends! These cookies had the perfect balance of sweet and salty. Remember my other sweet and salty recipe? Chunky Sweet 'n Salty Cookies? These are very similar, but instead of goldfish and whatever else I found in my pantry, I used pretzels. And boy, were they yummy!
These ones were super chunky and chewy! Look how thick they are!

...and a side view....
Here's the recipe!

Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies 
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Ingredients:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
8 tablespoons butter
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup pretzels, crushed

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325˚F and line baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat
2. Beat the sugars and butters together until smooth. Mix in the egg, vanilla, and baking soda.
3. Stir together the flour and salt, then mix them into the batter.
4. Mix in the chocolate chips and crushed pretzels
5. Scoop the cookie dough into 2-tablespoon (5cm) balls and place 8 balls, spaced 4 inches (10cm) apart, on each of the baking sheets.
6. Bake for 18 minutes, or until pale golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.

11 comments:

  1. Hey Lynne! psstt..Guess who this is :P I realized I haven't commented on your blog since I first visited it so I decided to just drop one here. C:
    I loooovveee your recipes and your pictures and overall blog are super cute. You are such a talented baker, and it's inspired me to try some of them out. How do you find all this time outside of school and cross country to post so often? Girl, you are amazing.
    And btw, I like your japan section. haha. See you in school!
    ~ Your short japan trip buddie/TA. (I hope you figure out who this is) ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Taryn!!! Hahah, of course I know who you are!!! :) Thanks for dropping by! Really? You made some?! Yay! uh...well instead of doin my hw, i bake....maybe not the best idea...

    ReplyDelete
  3. just made these and they turned out great! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohh....these are really chunky! They look delicious!! I love the idea of putting pretzels in the cookies- they look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of the salty & sweet combo. These look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pictures. You should post these over at www.dishfolio.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. I made these last night. They were very good but have some comments/questions. When I mixed in the pretzels I think my mixer must have crushed them a little more than expected because I didnt get enough of the salty flavor. I think more pretzels may be called for. Also - how were your cookies the next day? I baked mine at exactly 18 minutes - they did not burn or overcook but I felt that they were too crisp when they cooled. Not chewey at all. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks so much though. I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi timkates: I'm glad you tried them! Usually when I mix in the add ins (choco chips, pretzels, etc) I use a wooden spoon, so maybe your mixer was a little too strong? hmm...do you think your oven was on convection bake? if it is, then the oven temp should be lowered by 25 degrees. Or, you can shorten the baking time. I think if you shortened the baking time to 12-15 minutes, then the cookies would be a little softer and more chewy. Thanks for trying them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How many cookies does one batch make?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It depends on how big your cookies are, but I would approx. about 20 or so

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pretzel recipe has been featured on the Limefish Studio National Pretzel Day guide! http://limefishstudio.blogspot.com/2012/04/national-pretzel-day.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you :)