OTHER PAGES

Thursday, June 10, 2010

BLT Popover

ah, popovers. The pillowy eggy super scrumptious bread :) yum, just think about them makes me smile. I’ve tried making them once or twice, but with horrendous results. They never puffed up! And that's the whole part of a popover, the super big air-like cavity in the middle! I recently did a post about BLT steakhouse and they had the hugest popovers that were oh so delicious. Well, they were so good that I was inspired to re-attempt to make popovers. I tried to follow the recipe exactly, but you know how it goes, you forget a step and well, just try to fix it somehow. I forgot to whisk eggs until frothy and just added the egg in, so what I did was once I combined everything, I mixed it on super duper high speed w/ my mixer. Like a lot. So I put the popovers in the oven, oh btw, it says it only makes 12, but it really makes something like 18!!

Results: did they puff up?…..drum roll please……….and…(pause)….YES! they did! Hooray! They were so big that when I took them out of the oven, they fell out of the pan because they hit the rack above them! And were they like the ones at the steak place? Yup. But so much better knowing that I made them!!!

Popovers – BLT
Makes 18 popovers

Ingredients
4 cups milk, warmed
8 eggs
4 cups flour
1 ½ heaping tbsp salt
Popover pan

Preparation
Place the popover pan in the oven. Heat the oven and pan to 350˚. Gently warm the milk over low heat and set aside. Whisk the eggs until frothy and slowly whisk in the milk (so as not to cook the eggs). Set the mixture aside. Sift the flour with the salt. Slowly add this dry mixture, and gently combine until mostly smooth. Once combines remove the popover pan from the oven and spray with non-stick vegetable spray. While the batter is still slightly warm or room temperature (def. not cool), fill each popover cup ¾ full. Bake at 350˚ for 50 minutes, rotating pan half a turn after 15 minutes of baking. Remove from the oven, remove from the pan and serve immediately.



2 comments:

  1. :O these look sooo awesome! did you use a special popover tin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! I used a popover tin, but I'm pretty sure a muffin tin would work as well

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you :)