OTHER PAGES

Monday, May 24, 2010

Cinnamon Sugar Glazed Nuts :)


plain vs. glazed

There’s this new giant safeway store near my house, and guess what!? they have a nut bar :) but the nuts are kinda expensive…. Who want to pay 20 bucks for just one pound of nuts, not my parents! (even though they have some pretty cool combinations like furikake, spicy, sesame glazed, ranch, and a ton more) So instead of buying the super expensive but oh so delicious flavored nuts, I decided to make my own. Oh and btw the nut bar guy’s name is rory…but onto the nuts, so it turns out Costco sells nuts for about 8 bucks for a huge bag of nuts! (I, meaning my parents, bought a huge 2 lb bag of pecans for just 8$..i think) So I was looking through a lot of recipes on making your own sugar glazed nuts, (I felt like eating sweet nuts), and I came across a lot of recipes that use butter. I then decided I didn’t want to use any butter, cause then I’d have to put in the oven for a really long time. I decided to use a recipe where you just melt the sugar in a saucepan, add the nuts, stir around, and pour on a pan. Simple, yea? So I made the sugar mixture and dumped in a pile of nuts. It was a little too sweet, so the next batch I made had more nuts to the same ratio of sugar, and after they’d cooled, they were delicious! We tried adding a vanilla extract for a hint of vanilla flavor, but it just made the nuts sticky, and not hard like the other batched. My favorite spice combination was just the plain ol cinnamon. yum.



single hazelnut


Sugar Glazed Nuts
¼ cup sugar
1 ¼ cup nuts of choice (I used pecans)
1 tsp. spice of choice (I used cinnamon, but I’ve also tried ginger and cloves…pretty weird combination)

Melt sugar and spice in saucepan, (it took awhile for all the sugar to melt, and the little clumps to melt too, so just be patient), once melted, add nuts and stir, will cool quickly, so after you mix the nuts put on a silicone mat and separate the big clumps.



cinn sugar glazed pecans


shelled and toasted hazelnuts


in the process of melting

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you :)