OTHER PAGES

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

S'mores Cookies

      Wow, I can't believe it's already fall. Where has summer gone? Just yesterday I was thinking about my plans for the summer, then I realized summer wasn't for a long, long time. At least fall means it's baking season, right? But still, fall also means school, and school means homework. Lots and lots homework. Oh, and tests, and projects. How fun (*in a sarcastic voice), tests and projects. I guess I really should start studying. Tomorrow I have a big algebra test. Ugh, algebra. Do I really need to know how to extrapolate a graph? Or combine functions? When am I ever going to use this knowledge in baking? Or life for that matter?! But anyways, moving on from my math problems and on to more fun things, like s'mores!

     Everyone loves s'mores, right? Doesn't it bring back memories of camping in small tents and roasting marshmallows over a roaring fire? Whenever I think of s'mores, I always remember this one time I went camping. I think I was ten when we went camping at Bellows with some friends. I remember listening to the crash of the waves and the crackling of the fire. I had found the perfect spot for roasting my marshmallows. It was close enough to the flame that the marshmallows were browning nicely, but it was far enough away that the marshmallows didn't soak up the smoke smell. I remember by the time I had created the perfect marshmallow everyone else was already onto their third or fourth one! I still don't understand how they were that fast. I know some people just stick their marshmallow in to the flame and then blow it out, but then doesn't it taste burnt? I never understood those people.... But I do understand these cookies! S'mores turn in to cookies? Yum! Mini marshmallows and pieces of chocolate are added to a plain cookie during baking so that the marshmallows don't melt. Now that it's fall, you bake and still have your s'mores! Hooray!






S'mores Cookies 
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Ingredients:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
8 tablespoons butter
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate bar, chopped
1 cup marshmallows

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325˚F and line baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat
2. Beat the sugars and butters together until smooth. Mix in the egg, vanilla, and baking soda.
3. Stir together the flour and salt, then mix them into the batter.
4. Scoop the cookie dough into 2-tablespoon (5cm) balls and place 8 balls, spaced 4 inches (10cm) apart, on each of the baking sheets.
5. Bake for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and push in marshmallows and chocolate
6. Bake for 3 more minutes, and cool on a wire rack.




12 comments:

  1. they look gorgeous! Thanks for sharing this, great photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! And congratulations for making the Top 9 in Foodbuzz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies look so yummy! What a creative idea. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look so delicious! I love smores!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cookies, kids are going to love these, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh these are so going on my Christmas baking list. I love Chocolate and Marshmallow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so adorable. They would make a fantastic "gift" cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cookies look so, so good! I agree with you - I never understood why people stick their marshmallows into the fire. They are so much better, in my opinion, slowly roasted, puffy, and golden brown!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea for a cookie! They look beautiful and I bet they are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just made for a holiday party - they came out just like the picture. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you :)