.....Adriana from Bittersweet Baker! Congratulations Adriana! I will contact you soon about the details!
Classic Sponge Cake
adapted from azcookbook
1 cup flour
5 large eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/3 cup apricot jam
1. Preheat the oven to 350F . Butter a 9-inch round cake pan.
2. Sift the flour onto a sheet of parchment paper or onto a plate. Set aside.
3. In a large, deep bowl, combine the egg yolks with 1/2 cup of the sugar until light in color and thick, about 5 minutes. Whisk in juice. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, using a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment or a hand mixer, beat the egg whites on medium-high speed until they form soft peaks and have tripled in volume. Slowly pour in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and beat until the whites are stiff and glossy.
5. Using a rubber spatula, gently but quickly fold one-third of the beaten egg whites into the yolk-sugar mixture. Fold in one-half of the flour. Fold in the another third of the whites, followed by the remaining flour. Finally, fold in the remaining whites until the batter is smooth.
6. Pour into prepared pan, and bake for 20-30 minutes
7. Once done, cool on rack
8. Cut cake in half horizontally
9. Evenly spread jam on one half, top with cake.
10. Top with whipped cream or frosting or plain, and serve