OTHER PAGES

Friday, August 27, 2010

Blackstrap Gingersnaps..Vegan!!

Have you seen the book called Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar? Well it's this cookbook filled with tons of vegan cookie recipes! Can you believe that? All vegan! I didn't even know you could make so many vegan cookies! Now I'm not a vegan, but vegan cookies are usually really good. Like really, really good. Okay, maybe not as good as non-vegan cookies. Or maybe they are? hmm....Anyways, I was looking through the book and decided to make gingersnaps. I usually don't like using molasses because it's so hard to open that dang bottle, and measuring molasses is so hard (just like peanut butter...), but for some strange reason I was attracted to this recipe...hmm...Maybe I was craving ginger?

Aren't you craving some now too? I know you are! So how did these gingersnaps turn out? Well they were slightly crispy on the edges, and chewy in the middle. Plus they had that cracked look! And, I think it's as good as the non-vegan cookies. Shhh, don't tell!! :) How was the flavor you ask? Perfectly gingery and molasses-y!


Blackstrap Gingersnaps - Printer Friendly Version
Yield 2 dozen - Adapted from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
Ingredients: 
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
1/2 cup canola oil
3 tablespoons nondairy milk (I used normal milk...so not technically true vegan...)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F
2. In a bowl mix sugar, molasses, oil, milk, and vanilla extract.
3. Mix in flours, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt
4. Place rounded tablespoons 3 inches apart on a cookie sheet
5. Flatten slightly and bake for 12 minutes
6. Enjoy!

Note: Some people have had problems getting the "cracked" look. If your cookies don't have the cracks, don't be alarmed, they still taste good! I'm currently working on the recipe to get the cracked look and I'll keep you guys posted. Sorry about that!

Click for New Post!

Doesn't it look so elegant?
Close up!
With the glass now...

18 comments:

  1. I absolutely love gingersnaps! They're one of my favorite cookies. And I am a huge fan of those beautiful cracks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Me too, I love when gingersnaps have cracks at the top! It makes it seem so much more...um tasty!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you on opening the molasses jar and measuring. An absolute pain but these cookies look like it was worth it. Ps I really like your 2nd pic. Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, totally a pain! Thanks! I call it the floating molasses cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 12 teaspoon baking soda ???, is it 1/2 tsp ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. oops. my bad, changing that right now thanks for catching my mistake

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love molasses. I can't really help you with opening the jar, (I am a guy with big hands... it just opens for me) but when it comes to measuring out the molasses, there is a trick. Before pouring out out the molasses into your measuring device, swirl a little vegetable oil in it to coat the edges. You'll be amazed at how easily the molasses just pours out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, lucky you! Really? Hmm, I'm gonna have to try that! If that works then I'll be able to make more molasses-y things! yay Thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your blog! We have so much in common! I'm 15 and I LOVE to bake and cook! I lived on Oahu for 3 years, even! I miss it so much!

    These cookies look amazing and you are so good at photography!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pictures in your blog. I'm thinking of trying the Gingersnap cookies today..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kayla: Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you like it! Oh my gosh, we do have so much in common! That's so cool!

    Bengaluru Bijli: Thanks! You really should! They are delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your gingersnaps looks too beautiful to eat!

    I tried making some today, but it looks nothing like that. :( I wasn't able to get the cracks on the cookies, and all I can taste is just the molasses... I guess I am not a good baker..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no! I bet they were tasty! Don't worry, you're a great baker! :) Sometimes the stuff I make is so bad, I just have to trash it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had the same results as Sylvia above, despite trying longer cooking times and different cookie sizes. Are you sure the soda was 1/2 tsp? Maybe mine didn't rise enough and that's why they didn't crack? They taste nice enough but the lack of crackling is so sad...

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ mer: Sorry to hear your cookies didn't crack. I'll try to fix the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I looked it up on the net and 2 suggestions rang out.......add 2-3 drops of water to the top of each cooky before baking or roll in regular granulated sugar prior to baking.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you :)