OTHER PAGES

Friday, July 2, 2010

Steel Cut Oatmeal

Oatmeal. Yum. It's my favorite breakfast food. Wait, no not really. I like all breakfast foods. I think I could live on just breakfast food. Oatmeal for breakfast. Cereal for lunch. Cereal for dinner. Yea, that's a life I could get used to. But which kind of oatmeal? hm...there's the instant and then there's the steel cut. such a hard choice! this morning I was craving oatmeal, and since I had a lot of time I made the steel cut version. I like the instant oatmeal too cause it's easy to make before school, but I think the steel cut oats just taste sooo much better. Every time I make oatmeal....or my mom does...we always follow the NY times recipe. It's the easiest one I could find. Just water, milk, and the oats! And after 45 minutes with some heat...ta dah a delicious creamy bowl of oatmeal. I usually add my cinn. sugar glazed pecans but we didn't have so i opted for some dried cranberries. It also goes great with fresh berries. YUM!

Steel Cut Oatmeal
2 cups water
2 cups low-fat milk
1 cup steel-cut oats
Fresh or Dried fruit (optional)
1. Combine the water and milk in a large, heavy saucepan, and bring to a boil.
2.  Slowly add the oats, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. (As the oatmeal becomes thicker it becomes more likely to stick to the bottom and burn!!!)


Oatmeal w/ cranberries...

Oatmeal w/ berries....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you :)