OTHER PAGES

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies...or so they think

I was browsing the candy aisle yesterday…doesn't browsing sound similar to eyebrows..? well, that’s off topic, so continuing onto what I was gonna say, um what was I gonna say? Oh, right. So I was looking through the candy aisle at longs yesterday and I found myself in front of the toffee bars. I though they were perfect for a recipe I wanted to try by Cook’s Illustrated. It’s their perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe. I swapped the toffee bits for the chocolate and the nuts. The cookies were really soft, not too soft, like they were un-cooked, but since I love crispy cookies…let’s just say they aren’t my favorite. But my orchestra group loved them! (Especially the toffee bits. ) I actually didn’t think the toffee would stay crunchy because after they came out of the oven they seemed melted, but once I let them cool, they hardened :) these cookies are perfect for people who love soft cookies, and that extra occasional crunch.



Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Cook's Illustrated May/June 2009

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
10 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon table salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks (i used toffee pieces instead)
3 skor bars

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. 2. Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.
3. Brown the butter and then transfer to a heat proof mixing bowl (Heat 10 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1-3 minutes. )
4. Add both sugars, salt and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Then add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds.
5. Let mixture stand for 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth and shiny.
6.Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined.
7. Divide dough into 16 portions. Place 8 balls on each sheet.
8. Bake until golden brown, about 10-14 minutes



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you :)