OTHER PAGES

Monday, June 14, 2010

Alan Wong's



The other day I went to Alan Wong's for dinner. It's supposedly the best restaurant on Oahu, and well, I think their desserts are pretty awesome. But first, the bread.

Ah, the bread. It was soft, warm, fluffy, and the perfect start to this delicious meal. Next up was the "New Wave" Opihi Shooter. It was served in a tall skinny glass, and was surprisingly tasty. It was a little salty, but somehow the combination of the different flavors worked.



Then came the soup. It was the special of the day, Lobster Bisque. It was okay, I guess. Not great, nothing I'd order again.


Then, the main meal. Mochi Crusted Opakapaka, Steamed Shellfish bowl, Steamed Moi, and Twice Cooked Short Ribs (Soy Braised and Grilled "Kalbi" Style). I was actually disappointed with my meal. I forgot "crusted" meant deep fried...so my fish (mochi crusted opakapaka) was kinda oily. The shellfish bowl broth was amazing. It was Perfect. The lobster in the bowl on the other hand, uh, not so much. We actually had to crack it ourselves. Um...really?I thought we weren't supposed to get our hands dirty at such a nice restaurant. The Moi was just okay. The short ribs? They were so tender and good, well at least according to my brother (I don't eat steak/ribs/those kinds of meats). My brother said these short ribs are one of the best he's ever had. And let me tell you, he's eaten a lot of meat.


steamed shell fish bowl


Moi


Mochi Crusted Opakapaka


Twice Cooked Short ribs, Soy Braised and Grilled "Kalbi" Style. Okay, so I know it looks like blood. But don't worry, it's not that red!


the BEST risotto EVER!!!

But now onto the desserts!


Yum, my favorite part. We had the Kula Strawberries Romanoff, "Lemon Meringue Pie", Chocolate Sampler, and an off the menu ice cream/cake thing. They were delicious. Well at least three of them were. The "lemon Meringue Pie" not so much. The Kula Strawberries Romanoff was light and delicious, while the Chocolate Sampler was rich and caffeine high!! Overall the meal was terrific, the service was wonderful, and I totally hope my parents bring me back here! (And maybe with a nicer camera too. these pictures are terrible - sorry)


Kula "strawberries Romanoff"-Big Island Dairy Goat Cheese Panna Cotta, Kula Strawberry-Hibiscus Soup, Goat Cheese Sorbet, Hawaiian Vanilla Sabayon


"Lemon Meringue Pie" -Not Your Ordinary Lemon Meringue Pie…Blueberry-Yuzu Compote


Chocolate Sampler -Warm Molten Chocolate Cheesecake, Waialua Chocolate Mousse, Chocolate "Crunch" Bars, Chocolate Soup, Michelle's Candy Bar, Warm Chocolate Chip Cookies,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you :)