OTHER PAGES

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Ice Cream Cupcakes



I’m not sure if it’s just me, but does anyone click on blogrolls to find other blogs? Well I eventually stumbled upon a blog that just happened to be having a contest. It was for ice cream cupcakes! I love ice cream and cupcakes, so this was the perfect contest for me! I didn’t want to make mine too fancy (I have finals this week and I really have to study!!), so I made a very simple, but super duper tasty ice cream cupcake. I call it Vanilla Bean & Cookies and Cream. It rhymes, see? I made a vanilla bean cupcake base, and then topped it with cookies and cream ice cream and a mini oreo!

I thought the vanilla cupcake and cookie ice cream flavor combination worked really well. It reminded me of an Oreo with vanilla bean cream in the middle. Yummy, yea?
I thought making the ice cream cupcakes would be really difficult because the ice cream might melt and all that stuff, but it actually wasn’t too hard. I just made the cupcakes, froze them, spooned ice cream into a bag, and piped it onto the cupcakes. Putting the ice cream on the cupcakes was actually the hardest part. Part of the ice cream would melt, so that when I tried to pipe it onto the cupcakes, it would sometimes spurt out just melted ice cream and sometimes it was thick like frosting. It was also kinda cold, but the main problem was getting it out of the bag. Maybe I should’ve softened it longer or something….



To enter we are supposed to link our post to here and here. So umm.. yea oh and here's the recipe!

For Vanilla Bean Cupcakes
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cups sugar
2 egg yolks and 3 egg whites, at room temperature
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tbsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
3. Beat butter in a bowl. Scrape just the vanilla bean seeds into the bowl with the butter. Beat on medium-high speed until light and creamy in color.
4. Slowly add the sugar to the butter mixture, beating after each addition. Mix in the eggs until incorporated.
5. In a liquid measuring glass, combine milk and vanilla extract.
6. Slowly mix in milk mixture and flour mixture into the butter mixture.
7. Once mixed, fill paper lines with batter.
8. Bake for 20 minutes
9. Freeze cupcakes if topping with ice cream

Assembly of Ice Cream Cupcakes:
Ingredients:
Frozen cupcakes
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
Mini Oreos

1. Scoop cookies and cream ice cream into a freezer Ziploc bag.
2. Soften ice cream so that ice cream can be piped onto cupcakes (just wait a little bit)
3. Pipe ice cream onto cupcakes
4. Top with mini Oreos and freeze until ready to eat.






vanilla bean cupcake - see the black specs!!! it's the beans! :)

3 comments:

  1. Glad you stumbled upon my blog. Your cupcakes looked yummy!! Piping the ice cream is definitely tricky. Recently, I've cheated and just scooped it or spooned it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - and thanks for entering!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you :)