I've always loved the smell of coffee, but for some reason I just can't bring myself to drink it. Even with several scoops of sugar and probably way too much cream, I still can't swallow that bitter tasting liquid. But for some strange reason, I absolutely love, love, love, Roselani Kona Mud Pie ice cream. It's creamy kona coffee ice cream with a decadent fudge swirl and chunks of chocolate cookie pieces. Yum, pure caffeine heaven. The first time I ever tried it, I thought it was the best ice cream ever and continued to eat several bowls of it. Little did I know that my body was not used to caffeine, and I ended up staying awake for a really long time. Let's just say I did not sleep until the following day...
So anyways, how does my story about caffeine relate to those brownies above? Well, those brownies aren't just any old brownie. No, they are espresso brownies. Made with 2 whole tablespoons of espresso! Definitely going to pack a punch, don't you think? I made these for my friends birthday, and everyone loved them. You could definitely detect the coffee-ness, but it wasn't too overpowering, more of a subtle hint of a caffeine buzz!
Adapted From Fat Witch Brownie
8 Tbs butter
½ cup bittersweet chocolate
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Tbs instant espresso powder
1 Tbs hot water
1 cup flour
½ tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F and grease a 9x9 pan
2. Melt butter and chocolate. Set aside
3. Cream eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Add in the chocolate mixture
4. In a small cup mix together water and espresso. Add to the chocolate mixture.
5. Sift in the flour and salt, then stir until combined.
6. Pour in to prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes
7. Cool for an hour. Cut before serving