OTHER PAGES

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Caramel Cuts using Molasses

I was trying to make caramel cuts, but after i already melted the butter, i found out i didn't have any brown sugar. I knew brown sugar was made out of molasses and normal sugar, so i tried to make my own brown sugar to use instead. I made the caramel cuts, but even after the normal cooking time, they didn't seem done! I probably left them in the oven for at least an hour!!! I took them out anyways, and when I cut them, the base of the bars were liquidy. It seemed the molasses doesn't really solidify at first. The next day though, they seemed less oozy, and the day after that, they seemed normal! They were still pretty good, and tasted the same, but I was supposed to bring them into school for a snack, but uhh...they didn't look done and didn't think people would eat it, so i had to go out and buy some random stuff. this is the recipe w/ the small alteration of the molasses. i think i will use brown sugar instead of making my weird substitution because i would rather be able to eat them right out of the oven and not have to wait :)

Caramel cuts

2 blocks butter
3 cups sugar
3 tbs molasses
3 Eggs, beaten
1 1/4 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. spray 9x13 pan
3. melt butter in a large pot
4. add sugar to the butter and mix until the sugars are melted
5. take the pot of the stove
6. add vanilla and beaten eggs *make sure the batter isn't too hot or the eggs will cook
7. add dry ingredients and mix into butter mixture
8. pour into greased pan
9. bake for 35 minutes; should be golden brown
10. cool on cooling rack and enjoy :)



Right after baking...still kinda gushy


A few days later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you :)