OTHER PAGES

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Crepe Store and Homemade Crepes - the best yet :)

There is a small crepe store in Manoa (between bostons pizza and some new mexican restaurant) called le crepe cafe. their batter is made daily, and the inside of the cafe is very cozy; there are only about 4 or 5 tables. there are tables outside, but the loud mexican music and the smell of pizza totally ruin the experience. The smell inside the store, however, is amazing. The fragrant smell of fresh crepes, sugary goodness, and the all around coziness the store has. They are even eco friendly for all those eco nuts.... :p biodegradable utensils, recycled plates, yah kno that sorta thing. Oh and on to the crepe...their crepes are totally delicious! Savory or sweet, either one is delish. I've tried the cinn sugar, and it's pretty good. not so much sugar it overwhelms the crepe, but not too little there is more crepe than sugar. but..my favorite crepe is their romeo and juliet crepe. its super super good :). its nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread), bananas, and strawberries, all wrapped up in a super yummy freshly made crepe. yum!

okay..so i can't go to the crepe store everyday, so i decided to try to make my own. I've watched worst cooks in america when they had to make crepes, and they made it look really really hard. but when I made them, it was actually pretty easy. I just typed in crepe recipe into google, and found this recipe on allrecipes.com. there were a ton of great reviews, so i decide to try this recipe. it turned out great, unlike the contestants on worst cooks (thats a hilarious show btw).. so i figured out the trick was to make is so the pan wasn't too hot, or else the batter would cook on contact and not spread. Another tip would be to put the filling on the crepe when its on the plate. i kinda burned my fingers a lot when folding the thing together cuz i accidently touched the pan.. :(. So I put cinnamon sugar on my crepe, but my brother put chocolate and whipped cream on his. They were so good and I would totally make this recipe again. I didn't put in 2 tablespoons of butter, instead I put in 1, and it turned out fine. Next time I think I might not put any butter in just to see how that would turn out.

Adapted Basic Crepe Recipe - All Recipes

Ingredients

* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 2 eggs
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions

1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs. Gradually add in the milk and water, stirring to combine. Add the salt and butter; Sift in flour, and beat until smooth.
2. Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium heat. Pour the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
3. Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side. Serve hot.

Homemade Crepe:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you :)