OTHER PAGES

Monday, June 27, 2011

Baklava for Daring Bakers

Agh! I hate it when you work so hard to roll out thin layers of dough, only to discover after stacking and cutting the dough that you didn't flour inbetween and as a result now have a huge mass of dough. Ugh. Sorry about my little rant, it'll all make sense. Erica of Erica’s Edibles was our host for the Daring Baker’s June challenge. Erica challenged us to be truly DARING by making homemade phyllo dough and then to use that homemade dough to make Baklava.



So I made the dough, waited, then begin rolling it out. Rolling it out took about 30-40 minutes, but in the end took about an hour fifteen minutes because of my stupid mistake of not flouring enough. If you make this, make sure to flour well inbetween the stacked layers to make peeling apart the layers after cutting much, much easier. Instead of having uber thin layers of phyllo dough, my layers were on the thicker side and not as flaky. I also used pecans for the nuts. My mom said it tasted more like a cinnamon roll in layers.

Sorry about the awful pictures. Yellow kitchen lighting :( It was late by the time the baklava, uh cinnamon layered bar finished baking and the syrup cooled. However, I still had fun with the challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you :)