OTHER PAGES

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Happy Hearts Mochi

Oh. My. Gosh. This is the BEST mochi EVER! Handmade with love and care, Happy Hearts Mochi makes The Best Mochi Ever.
Happy Hearts Mochi is a small mochi making company based in Honolulu, Hawaii. Each delicious piece of mochi is handmade with love and care. They're as tasty as they are cute, and they're definitely cute! They don't have a store, instead mochi is pre-ordered, and then picked up at a house in a residential neighborhood. Their hours are from 7am-11am, perfect for pickup before school or work.
Orders must be placed 2 days in advance, but it was definitely worth the wait. I ordered the sampler pack and a strawberry mochi. They have a total of four flavors: haupia, chocolate haupia, hazelnut coffee haupia, and peanut butter and azuki. Oh, and their whole strawberry mochi!
Clockwise from top right: Chocolate haupia,  peanut butter azuki, haupia, and hazelnut coffee haupia. Yum!
The first bite was in to the haupia mochi. How was it? Soft, sweet, with a coconut-y filled center. Just look at that haupia filled center. Who could say no?! Oh, I forgot to say what haupia was. I'm pretty sure you all know, but haupia is similar to a very creamy coconut jello. Almost like a pudding, but can be cut like jello, and it's extremely tasty wrapped in mochi. If luaus served this type of haupia, I would definitely go :)
Next to be eaten was the peanut butter mochi. This was one of my favorites because it combined two of my favorite flavors, peanut butter and azuki bean.
The peanut butter azuki bean center was amazing. Usually peanut butter mochi is filled with either smooth peanut butter or slightly-chunky-but-not-really-peanut butter. This peanut butter was super duper chunky. I'm talking entire half pieces of peanuts. Ha, I just thought of a joke. It's not a very good one, but I'll say, I mean write, it anyways. They had whole half peanuts. Ha, get it? Whole Half. :) Anyways, I found the crunchyness from the peanuts pleasantly contrasted the so-soft-it-almost-melts-in-your-mouth mochi.
Next was the chocolate haupia mochi. The combination of flavors reminded me of a famous pie, Ted's Chocolate Haupia Pie
Except once I bit in to the mochi, I completely forgot about pie. The flavors were so much better than the pie form, and instead of a buttery crust, it was hand made mochi, yum. Inside there was two layers. The top layer, which isn't as visible, is haupia, while the bottom layer is a mixture of chocolate creamy goodness and coconut.
Last, but not least of the sampler pack was the hazelnut coffee haupia mochi. Wow, that was a long name.
Because of my semi-dislike for coffee, I thought the coffee mochi would be my least favorite, but it was actually one of my favorites. The mochi had a really pleasant coffee flavor, and it paired well with the creamy haupia.
The strawberry mochi came in it's own little container, and was huge! Imagine a very, very, large egg. Or the biggest strawberry wrapped in azuki bean and mochi.
Isn't it big looking?
This picture does not do this mochi justice. I should've taken another picture, but sadly I had already eaten it after the first bite. Below is what the mochi looked like after tiny bite to the top. It may look tiny, but there's a whole strawberry in there. Are strawberries even in season?!
Overall, the mochi is definitely a must try if you stop by Oahu. But remember, you have to order two days in advance! This would be a great give for your valentine!

2 comments:

  1. Omg those look absolutely amazing! I wish I could get proper, fresh homemade mochi over here! You have no idea how jealous I am, those look absolutely stunning ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not heard of these treats before, but they look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you :)