OTHER PAGES

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Sugar and spice makes everything nice!

Yes, it's another snickerdoodle recipe. You may say I have too many, but c'mon, can you really have too many snickerdoodles? Answer to that question: No, never! A soft cookie with a cinnamon sugar crust. Who could resist? I mean really. Could you resist those thick, soft, chewy cinnamon sugar coated cookies?

Especially if those snickerdoodles are thick and soft. I've finally made a chewy, non-flat snickerdoodle. In the past I've had a little trouble accomplishing this feat (which you can see here or here) but I've finally done it! And it's all thanks to a little tip I learned from Joanne Chang, the lady who owns Flour Bakery in Boston. After mixing up the dough, I popped the entire bowl into the refrigerator for a couple of hours, until it was firm, then coated individual balls with cinnamon and sugar and baked them. They turned out beautifully. I also figured out a way to make a single cookie at a time, for the inner cookie monster :)

After coating balls in the cinnamon sugar, freeze the dough on a tray, and once frozen store in a ziploc bag. When you have a craving for something cinnamon-y you can take out how many balls you want to eat, place them in the oven, and bake for about 2 minutes longer than normal. It's that easy! I recommend over estimating the number you need because these go pretty quickly!
See that finger? That's actually my thumb! Just to give you guys a visual idea on how thick these cookies really were.






Snickerdoodles
Adapted from Flour Bakery
Ingredients:
1 cup shortening, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup ground cinnamon

Directions:
1. In a bowl cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs
2. In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar. Mix flour mixture into butter mixture.
3. Place dough in the fridge in an airtight container for 3 hours, or until dough is firm and easy to roll into a ball.
4. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
5. In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup ground cinnamon.
6. Coat rounded tablespoons of dough in sugar mixture.
7. Place coated balls on a cookie sheet, and bake for 12 minutes or until the edges are golden

11 comments:

  1. Love snickerdoodles! :) And your makeover looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I haven't made snickerdoodles in forever! Yours look delicious. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynne. Wish I could bake as well as you when I was 15. Your cookies look delicious and you're right....you can NEVER have too many snickerdoodle recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is always room for more snickerdoodles. Yours look just delicious. I must get around to making a batch...I've had a craving for these cookies for so long. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snickerdooles are my favorite cookie. I love the combo of cinnamon and sugar. Great post! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy, snickerdoodles are one of my faves. Yours look like they couldn't be any better and I have no doubt that they were delicious, every single one of them. I have a new linky on my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/01/sweets-for-saturday-1_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have so many great cookie recipes here - I've bookmarked a couple already, starting with these fantastic snickerdoodles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for coming by and linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday. I truly appreciate your support. Hope that you'll be able to join in again next week. By then, I'll have a cute button that you can grab and add to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been eating snickerdoodles since i was a kid"i'm55 now" going to try this recipe,because i haven't found like my friends mom use to make. They look real good in the pic's

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you :)