OTHER PAGES

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Moo!

 I never understood how some people can skip breakfast. Not eating for over 12 hours? Unbelievable! Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. But tied with dessert, of course. How can you not eat breakfast, especially if it involves homemade yogurt?

My dad has always been a breakfast person. He eats several bowls of cereal/granola/muesli/whatever-other-breakfast-item-you-can-pour-in-a-bowl-and-eat-with-milk a day. And, he makes some darn good yogurt. It's tangy, it's yummy, and it goes great with multigrain cheerios.

Now some photos on how to make yogurt! First, we need milk. We use organic low fat 1% milk from costco. My dad always uses a new carton of milk and opens it with a fork so that bacteria isn't transferred to the milk. (We want to limit the amount of outside bacteria in our yogurt)

This is the brand of yogurt we often use. Sometimes we use their baby version, as it comes in already pre-portioned 1/4 cup servings, but we can always eat the leftovers, right?

Below is the yogurt machine we use. We bought our from amazon, but if you don't want to go out and buy one, there are several recipes that do not call for a yogurt machine (which heats the mixture) and instead the containers are placed in a slightly warm oven for several hours. We have tried both methods, and decided the non-yogurt machine way is too variable in texture and taste.
Make sure you whisk well! Those are my dad's hands, btw.
After it's all been whisked nice and frothy...
Now it's all set to go in to the machine.


Plain Yogurt
Recipe from my dad
Ingredients:
about 1/4 cup water
32 oz. ultra pasteurized milk
1/2 cup milk powder
1/4 cup plain stonyfield yogurt

Directions:
1. Microwave water in yogurt container for 30 seconds to kill off any bacteria
2. Pour out water and fill container with milk
3. Microwave for 2 min 45 seconds
4. Remove from microwave and whisk in milk powder
5. Whisk in yogurt, making sure to completing blend together
6. Place container in yogurt maker and plug in for 10-11 hours.

4 comments:

  1. I really appreciated this recipe and your instructions. I found your blog by chance and while I was here browsed through your earlier entries. I really like the food and recipes you feature for your readers. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible! Looks delish!

    Great blog; happy I found you!

    Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay homemade yogurt! haha I miss you guys so much, I just got home to dc :) oh, and my dad is eating our neopolitan cake right now ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you :)