I never understood how some people can skip breakfast. Not eating for over 12 hours? Unbelievable! Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. But tied with dessert, of course. How can you not eat breakfast, especially if it involves homemade yogurt?
My dad has always been a breakfast person. He eats several bowls of cereal/granola/muesli/whatever-other-breakfast-item-you-can-pour-in-a-bowl-and-eat-with-milk a day. And, he makes some darn good yogurt. It's tangy, it's yummy, and it goes great with multigrain cheerios.
Now some photos on how to make yogurt! First, we need milk. We use organic low fat 1% milk from costco. My dad always uses a new carton of milk and opens it with a fork so that bacteria isn't transferred to the milk. (We want to limit the amount of outside bacteria in our yogurt)
Recipe from my dad
about 1/4 cup water
32 oz. ultra pasteurized milk
1/2 cup milk powder
1/4 cup plain stonyfield yogurt
1. Microwave water in yogurt container for 30 seconds to kill off any bacteria
2. Pour out water and fill container with milk
3. Microwave for 2 min 45 seconds
4. Remove from microwave and whisk in milk powder
5. Whisk in yogurt, making sure to completing blend together
6. Place container in yogurt maker and plug in for 10-11 hours.