OTHER PAGES

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th of July!!! :)

Hi everyone! Happy 4th of July! What is everyone gonna do to celebrate? A picnic? A BBQ? Why not a red white and blue ice cream cake?! Yes, I actually made an ice cream cake. My last experience mixing cake and ice cream was well, not so good. The ice cream was all runny and would stay properly on my cupcakes. But that's past, and now, I have a layer of ice cream sandwiched between a layer of red and blue cake. Scratch that. I mean between a layer of pink and baby blue cake. How in the world does everyone make their red cakes actually red? It's a mystery to me!

So I know I should have planned better, but knowing me, I didn't plan well. I made the cake and ice cream layer, and I assembled it. But uhhh....I forgot to frost it. Oops! my bad...So I have the cake assembled but yea, i dont think im gonna bring it to the 4th of July party.  I'll post the recipe, but I'll have to add the pictures later!

Ice Cream Cake - Printer Friendly Version
Sponge cake layer
adapted from David Lebovitz's book: Ready for Dessert
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 eggs, separated
1/4 cup cold water
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F and butter two 8x8 pans
2. In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt
3. In a mixing bowl beat egg yolks and water for a minute
4. Add in sugar, vanilla, and vanilla beans
5. In a separate bowl beat egg whites on high until they form stiff peaks
6. Gradually sift the flour mixture into the yolk mixture, whisking until incorporated
7. Fold in egg whites
8. Divide batter in to 2 separate bowls
9. Mix red food coloring and blue food coloring in each separate bowl
10. Pour into pans
11. Bake for 25 minutes or until tests done
12. Once done, cool, wrap in foil or plastic wrap and freeze

Ice cream layer
Ingredients:
1/2 Quart Ice Cream (I used vanilla. You know, matchy-matchy. vanilla-vanilla)

Directions:
1. Line a 8x8 pan with plastic wrap
2. Allow ice cream to soften by leaving out for 5-10 minutes
3. Press into the pan
4. Wrap and freeze

Frosting:
Pillsbury frosting (don't yell at me! I am in a rush!!)

To assemble:
1. Place cake layer on the bottom
2. Place ice cream layer on top
3. Place cake layer on top of that
4. Frost the entire cake
Yea, I'm not sure why I wrote the directions for that...it's kinda obvious...

Here's pretty pictures to enjoy while I go frost the cake!

the pretty view from my backyard... goes great with the ice cream cake!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you :)