Saturday, February 19, 2011

My Entry for The Sweetest Kitchen's Mystery Box Cupcake Challenge

While I was "blog hopping" I stumbled upon a fun challenge involving cupcakes and chocolate. Every month The Sweetest Kitchen picks a different ingredient we must incorporate in to a cupcake. It sounded exciting, and I couldn't wait to get in the kitchen to start testing out some chocolate pairings. Actually, I already knew what I wanted to make. I was going to combine two of my favorite candy bars in to a single decadent cupcake. While I do love butterfingers, I wasn't sure how they'd turn out after baking, so I decided to combine the flavors of Milky Ways and Reese's peanut butter cups. Caramel, peanut butter, chocolate, oh such a decadent cupcake was in my future.

What do you think? It's a moist chocolate cupcake with a caramel filling topped with creamy peanut butter frosting and a caramel drizzle. I have to say, I definitely loved the peanut butter frosting and caramel combination. I'm thinking there will be more of those two together. And who could forget about chocolate? Chocolate makes everything better.

If you would like to join in on the fun, here's the link to the official rules. And....

The winner of February’s Mystery Box Cupcake Challenge will receive prizes from:
Thank you to all our prize sponsors!


Candy Bar Cupcake(Chocolate cupcake with a caramel filling topped with creamy peanut butter frosting and a caramel drizzle)
Ingredients: (Adapted from Hershey's chocolate cake)
For the chocolate cupcake:
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup hot water

For the caramel:
Your favorite caramel sauce

For the peanut butter frosting:
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter, I used creamy
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk, or until desired smoothness

Directions:
For the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F
2. In a bowl combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Add in eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla until combined. Mix in water.
4. Pour in to 12 paper lined cupcake tins and bake for 20-25 minutes
5. Allow cupcakes to cool before assembling 

For the frosting:
1. Cream together the butter and powdered sugar. Beat in peanut butter. Add in milk and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy enough to pipe.

To assemble:
1. Using a spoon or knife, remove a piece of cake from the center to create a small well for the caramel.
2. Fill hole with caramel, if the caramel doesn't reach the top, the recover with removed cake
3. Frost the cupcakes
4. Enjoy!

Don't forget to vote!

9 comments:

  1. That looks so good. I will have to make it and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy!! :) The cupcake looks so moist and chocolatey it'd be perfect by itself...but the peanut butter frosting and the caramel sound so so good! Good luck for the challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously looks delicious! I wish I were eating one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some incredible prizes. I hope you win!! I don't think I have ever had peanut butter and caramel together, but I bet it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, these sounds a-maze-ing.......thank you. I will defiantly be trying these here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm...caramel and peanut butter...two of my favorite things. These look just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh those look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tried making these cupcakes for my younger sisters birthday. S***... they were dry and sunk in the middle, the outside rose up and the mix was so runny. Dont bother.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you :)